The Holy month of Ramadan is full of blessings for everyone. The right way to start your Ramadan fasting is with proper planning. Planning will help in preparing your body for the required transition a month in advance. As a result of this, it will make your whole month of fasting easier. During fasting we refrain ourselves from not only eating food and drinking water, but also from smoking and caffeine, so this requires some special attention.
Especially for addicts of smoking and caffeine, it is necessary to plan it out. It seems very difficult to get rid of addiction as it may cause mental illness like depression, anxiety, loss of vigor among others. The key to getting rid of them is to reduce their dose first and then eventually leave them. However, to reap the benefits of this Holy month of Ramadan we should be well prepared in advance.
Side effects of quitting:
If we talk about caffeine, it affects both physiologically and psychologically. Whenever you will skip it, you will crave it badly. It may cause you headache, tiredness and resultantly you won’t be able to focus on your work and daily chores. Remember that small amount of caffeine is not harmful for health; rather it boosts your well-being. However, excessive amount causes damage to your health.
As far as smoking is concerned, smokers who quit during the Holy month of Ramadan may face withdrawal symptoms 3 to 5 days within quitting. The symptoms include irritability, difficulty in focusing and anger. Some people also make use of heavy iftar meals in order to avoid craving for smoking which leads to weight gain.
The psychological effects (of both smoking and caffeine) last longer. Some very easy to follow tips are mentioned below for quitting.
Tips for quitting smoking:
- Make gradual use of nicotine patches in order to get rid of this unhealthy habit in time. It will help you out in Ramadan as you cannot give it up at once.
- Use healthy food items rich with fiber for iftar meals.
- Try starting your iftar meal with soup and avoid intake of carbohydrates.
- There must be a will to quit; without determination nothing is possible.
Tips for quitting caffeine:
- Just like smoking, reduce your intake of caffeine on gradual basis so as to quit it completely during Ramadan.
- Don’t be afraid of headache rather take a strong cup of tea during sehri time. It will be of great help.
- Keep in mind the fact that intake of caffeine during Ramadan will cause dehydration and increase your thirst. So, try avoiding it altogether in iftar and sehri meal.
- Take proper sleep.
The month of Ramadan is a great opportunity for all the addicts to get rid of their bad habits. Just hold onto your determination and watch the results.